Our patient-support resources are dedicated to you so you can become a more well-informed patient or caregiver. The more you know, the better you can be an active member of the care team and advocate for your health or the health of your loved one. Our resources will provide you with the tools you need to ensure you are receiving optimal care. For more, visit our Patient or Caregiver Resources.
Patient Learning Centre
Wounds Canada is proud to be the go-to organization for wound care patients and caregivers to learn, connect, find assistance and empower themselves.
Here are some the tools and resources available to you:
- Patient-focused resources: Our free, downloadable Care at Home and DIY Skin Health series are must-have resources for dealing with different types of wounds at home and becoming an active member of your care team.
- Clinic Directory: Visit our comprehensive, up-to-date listing of wound care clinics across Canada.
- Diabetes, Healthy Feet and You: Our special website dedicated to managing diabetic foot ulcers provides a wealth of resources for you and members of your care team.
- Wounds Canada Institute: Improve your wound knowledge with Wounds Canada’s online education modules.
- Up-to-date articles focused on the patient experience: Both of our in-house publications, Limb Preservation Canada and Wound Care Canada, feature articles focused on patient voice, autonomy and stories. Check out Promoting Autonomy, Empowerment and Self-management in Patients with Wounds and Unfolding Patients’ Preferences in Wound Care in the latest issue of Wound Care Canada.
- Wound Index: We are pleased to provide this free online encyclopedia of basic skin physiology and wound-related conditions.
WE ARE THE VOICE FOR CANADIAN PEOPLE AT RISK OF OR LIVING WITH WOUNDS AND THEIR PROVIDERS.
That means we believe in listening to the voices and stories of patients living with or at risk of wounds and their caregivers. We wouldn’t be the organization we are today if we hadn’t spent time learning from patients and caregivers directly about their experiences navigating Canada’s health-care system. People are not their wounds; each patient has a unique story and vast wisdom to share if you choose to listen. Supporting patient autonomy and voice is one of the many ways we're enacting positive change in wound care delivery and the greater health-care system. This approach in turn fosters community and connection between patients, caregivers and health-care providers. When you donate to Wounds Canada, you’re supporting a patient-focused approach to research, advocacy, education and care that includes the following initiatives:
- ”Our Voices, Our Stories” virtual Patient Journey conference, a collaborative and interprofessional event that brings together patients, caregivers and health-care providers to discuss how to improve the patient experience in wound care
- “Our Voices, Our Stories” an ongoing video project showcasing the voices of patients and their caregivers, a collaboration with Lakehead University led by wound care advocate Dr. Ide Costa. Share your own wound care story here.
- Our tireless advocacy to governments across Canada to ensure they make wound prevention and care and wound care research a priority
- Our awareness campaigns solutions that we encourage all patients to partake in, including May Foot Health Awareness Month, World Diabetes Day, Pressure Injury Prevention Day and more! Follow our social media channels to connect with us and start raising awareness about the challenges patients like yourself face navigating Canada’s health-care systems and the solutions that are available to make real, lasting change in wound care.